CR094
Brian Stutzman
Mrs. Richter
February 16, 2016
Quitting
a Nasty Habit
I
need to quit smoking. My family, Friends
and work colleagues have told me to do so since I started, which was about 5
years ago. Not too long ago I began
telling myself the same thing. To put
the foundation on what I’m telling myself, I am going to use these 30 days to
my advantage. I have tried quitting in the past and end up no where due to lack
of effort and a poor routine. For 30 days I am going to try to break a nasty habit
in hopes it will improve my health. Speaking of my health I’ve noticed a change
in a great many things. My breathing, sleeping and eating habits have all
changed drastically over the past six years.
I
never really thought that my health was a big deal; I took care of myself
pretty well. I never thought things like my sleep, oxygen I breathe, or even my
appetite would be affected so quickly. Time to start worrying I guess. At my
age not that I’m old but I am beginning to feel the long term effects from what
cigarettes are doing to my body. I can’t run or eat that much, I only eat once
a day, or even sleep it’s like a cup of coffee to some people. So in light of quitting smoking I hope
quitting will restore my appetite. More of an appetite will allow me to store
more energy which in turn will allow me to use more energy to make me tired.
I’ll sleep much better by the time this 30 days is up.
30 days is enough length to what I consider to
be a long term goal and plenty of time to break a habit. My plan to break these
habit starts with taking one cigarette out a day or having one less then the
day before. I’m hoping that will control my urge to smoke and my shakiness. In
the morning and in the evening is when I usually smoke the most. So I am going
to limit the number of cigarettes I have at these points of the day. This will
change how I wake up and how I go to sleep. I used to go to bed earlier then my
parents, now I go to bed way later. My Mother and Father, who used to smoke,
have said that they feel much better in the mornings when they wake and at
night when they go to sleep as well as previous smokers in some health articles
I’ve stumbled upon while reading a magazine.
A
lot of ex-smokers that I have talked to said that they could not quit cold turkey.
I look at it as a great confidence booster. That’s why I decided to break this
habit slowly. A lot of those ex-smokers that I have spoken to told me to find a
“niche” or simple but progressive way to break my habit. I understand some
people can jus let go of a habit “just like that” but I am not good at breaking
habits quickly. So basically it’s going to be slow but easy as I have no other
choice but to use 30 days as an excuse to quit.
Quitting
smoking period is going to be difficult but I think if I try maybe just a
little bit harder this time the pay off will be much greater. There are so many
things to have fun with then to increase my risk of cancer. I know mom and pop will be much happier along
with some other people that are close to me. I’m hoping that instead making
this a short term goal like I have in the past, a long term goal will make it
easier. Who knows maybe I’ll save a little bit of cash at the end of the year
from not buying cigarettes to put into the car I want to build. I really hope I
can accomplish what I set my mind to this time and possibly if I do quit help
convince others to quit too.
No comments:
Post a Comment